What can you do with a tune? How can you – as we say – develop melodies so you can write longer pieces without just stringing together lots of unrelated ideas? In this second video, we’ll explore some more advanced techniques to try with your tunes.
14. Keep the rhythm, change the notes
15. Break into smaller chunks
17. Same notes, different rhythm
18. Change the downbeat / cross over bars
20. Play the tune backwards (Retrograde)
21. Retrograde inversion
25. Imitation, canon, fugue
26. Gradual metamorphosis
27. Hypnotic repetition
28. Deconstructing your music into cells
Watch part 1 of the 28 things to do with a tune here.
Check out this video if you’d like to know more about writing canons.